ATTORNEYS AT LAW
Robert R. Rubin
Robert R. Rubin’s law practice emphasizes the resolution of federal, state and local tax controversies including income, employment, franchise, estate, gift and excise taxes, real and personal property taxes and sales and use taxes. Bob was a trial attorney in the Office of Chief Counsel, Internal Revenue Service, for 10 years before entering private practice. In more than 38 years of practicing tax law, he has represented clients of all types and has seen almost every California and federal for-profit and nonprofit income tax, employment tax, property tax and sales and use tax issue.
During my years of practice, I’ve gained a lot of experience, which I try to combine with technical proficiency. Experience does make a huge difference, because it’s rare I see an issue I haven’t seen before.
I’ve had the benefit over time of seeing how tactics and strategy need to shift as circumstances change. For instance, there have been changes over the years in how aggressively the IRS Appeals Division tries to settle cases. I’m constantly reading a situation and applying experience.
“I help individuals and businesses to resolve tax disputes. I work with agencies such as the IRS, FTB, BOE and EDD on income tax, estate tax, property tax, sales and use, and other tax controversies.”
I love to golf and try to play almost every weekend. Playing Cypress Point was a highlight for me, but I’ve also enjoyed having the chance to play courses in Scotland like the Old Course, Carnoustie and Turnberry. My typical golf outing is much closer to home, though.
- Representation of clients regarding personal liability for federal and state employment taxes and state sales and use taxes.
- Representation of nonprofit clients including excess benefit transaction issues and UBTI issues.
- Representation of clients before the Internal Revenue Service, California Franchise Tax Board, California Employment Development Department, California State Board of Equalization, California County Property Tax Assessors and California County Property Tax Boards of Equalization or Assessment Appeals Boards.
- Representation of clients in court including the United States Tax Court, Eastern District of California, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal, California Superior and Appellate Courts in tax cases.
- Representation of clients with valuation issues including the valuation of golf courses for property tax purposes.
- Representation of clients on residency issues before the California Franchise Tax Board and Board of Equaliztion, including professional athletes and entertainers.
- Representation of hard mineral and geothermal steam producers in property tax cases involving hundreds of millions of dollars of value.
- Representation of Indian Tribe and Tribal enterprises in multi-million dollar dispute with the California Employment Development Department, including maintenance of an injunction action in the Eastern District of California.
- Representation before the California Franchise Tax Board, Board of Equalization, Superior Court and Third District Court of Appeal in case involving Internal Revenue Code section 338(h)(10) nonconforming election.
- Representation of clients regarding the Internal Revenue Service Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Programs.
- Representation of clients before the California Franchise Tax Board regarding Voluntary Compliance Initiatives I and II and the Noneconomic Substance Transaction Penalty.
- Representation of multi-national manufacturer regarding California unitary tax audit.
- A frequent speaker on taxation for the following groups:
- American Bar Association, Tax Section
- State Bar of California, Tax Section
- Sacramento County Bar Association, Tax Section
- Sacramento Magazine Top Lawyer, 2015 – 2021
- Northern California Super Lawyer, 2004, 2012—2021
- Sacramento Business Journal Best of the Bar, 2016
- Graduated Marquette University Law School, cum laude