Businesses that come to Boutin Jones—leaders in manufacturing, technology, healthcare, banking—often need a diverse range of legal and advocacy services. Boutin Jones’ strategic alliances provide clients access to a national and international group of lawyers of the highest caliber as well as government relations and lobbying professionals with decades of experience.
BOUTIN JONES STRATEGIC ALLIANCES
How it Works
- A Placer County winery with a distribution facility in Phoenix gets local legal advice on environmental regulations from an Arizona attorney in our SCG Legal network.
- A San Francisco-based developer gets a tandem of experienced real estate attorneys alongside a tax strategy designed by one of the country’s leading real estate tax advisors.
- A Sacramento-based health care provider runs into a business issue that requires government relations to advance a solution to benefit its patient members.
From the heart of California’s capital, Boutin Jones offers professional service relationships that are a point of pride for our clients no matter where their business takes them.
Cutting-Edge Tax Strategies For Business & Real Estate
Weller Partners LLP
Nationally-recognized tax attorney and real estate transaction strategist Lou Weller and Boutin Jones have a formal strategic alliance to give our clients who undertake complex business transactions—especially those involving the exchange of property—sophisticated tax planning advice. Among the clients who most benefit from this alliance are real estate developers, business clients and partnerships throughout the Western United States. The alliance also gives Weller’s clients immediate access to our top-notch legal services covering a multitude of practice areas.
About Lou Weller
Lou Weller, Managing Partner of Marin County-based Weller Partners LLP, has served as National Director of Real Estate Transaction Planning and National Director, Like Kind Exchange Services at Deloitte Tax LLP and practiced law with the national law firm Bryan Cave LLP. He has extensive experience designing and implementing strategies for real estate and business asset acquisitions, transfers, exchanges, leases, financing work-outs, business start-ups, limited liability companies, partnership and joint venture formations, transactions involving REITS and capital-raising through placement of partnership interests and stock.
He has written extensively about cutting-edge tax issues in a number of nationally-acclaimed journals and been invited to speak at every major national tax institute. He serves as the Real Estate Department editor of the Journal of Taxation and is the past Chair of the Real Estate Committee of the American Bar Association Tax Section and of that committee’s Subcommittee on Like-Kind Realty Exchanges. He is a Founder and the Co-Chair of the annual Jeremiah Long Advanced Seminar on Internal Revenue Code Section 1031 and a Fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel.
Governmental Relations and Lobbying Services for Businesses
Clear Advocacy, LLC
Boutin Jones and Clear Advocacy, LLC have a strategic alliance to provide lobbying and government relations expertise in the California capital to clients of both firms and those of the law firm members of SCG Legal, an international network of independent law firms.
Clear Advocacy, LLC is a full service governmental relations practice based in Sacramento. The principals, Peter Kellison, Fred Main and Kevin Pedrotti, each have over 30 years of lobbying experience. The firm represents a broad range of clients in retail, financial services, health care, and other businesses. Among the services Clear Advocacy provides are:
- Direct Lobbying – Representing client interests before legislators, legislative committees, commissions, regulatory hearings and key government figures.
- Strategic Planning – Anticipating issues and creating long and/or short-term strategies required to successfully manage government-related problems.
- Budget Advocacy – Seeking state funding for a client’s products and services.
- Political Activity – Developing and recommending political support for elected officials interested in a client’s issues.
- Grass Roots Activity – Utilization of a client’s local resources to develop important relationships and influence government action.
- Coalition Building – Expanding support for a client’s issues among stakeholders, community leaders and like-minded organizations.
- Personal Relationships – Creating networking opportunities where clients can meet with decision-makers throughout government.
- Business Development – Positioning a client for opportunities in California’s competitive marketplace.
Legal Services in Every State & Major Commercial Centers Throughout the World
A Worldwide Network of Leading Law Firms
Boutin Jones is the only Sacramento law firm—and one of only two law firms in the state of California—that is part of SCG Legal.
An association of more than 140 independent law firms, SCG Legal is in all 50 U.S. state capital cities and in capital cities and major commercial centers around the world. In total, through SCG Legal, Boutin Jones clients have access to nearly 12,000 attorneys practicing in SCG Legal member firms.
SCG Legal describes their network in the following way: “The U.S. member firms organized in 1989 to better serve their clients in sharing information about the practice of law before state legislative, judicial, and executive bodies. Seventeen former governors from both major political parties who had returned to the practice of law took the lead in forming the organization. Today, the firms count among their members numerous former governors, attorneys general, and state legislative and administrative agency leaders. The firms serve many regional, national, and international companies in a full range of legal services. SCG Legal is in a unique position to provide accurate and comprehensive information about activities in every state capital. It provides an organized, efficient, trustworthy resource to identify local counsel, and can assist businesses with government relations matters, litigation coordination, and multi-jurisdictional regulatory concerns in all 50 states and around the globe.”