ATTORNEYS AT LAW
Michael J. Kuzmich
Mike Kuzmich practices real estate, business, and agribusiness litigation with a sub-specialty in title insurance and escrow litigation. He has experience prosecuting, defending, and resolving all types of general and complex civil disputes in state and federal courts (trial and appellate) and in private dispute-resolution forums (mediation, arbitration, and judicial reference).
My clients are constantly assessing risks and benefits to make smart business decisions. I understand that litigation diverts time, energy, and other valuable resources away from a client’s business. My job is to candidly advise my clients about their dispute and develop and execute a business-minded plan through advocacy and negotiation. Far more often than not, a negotiated resolution that brings certainty and closure is more preferable than a knock-down, drag-out fight.
I am direct and frank with my clients and opposing counsel. I don’t blow smoke and I don’t make promises or threats that I can’t deliver.
When I’m not lawyering I enjoy traveling with my wife and our daughters, watching our daughters play soccer and lacrosse, sampling local craft breweries, practicing yoga, fishing, and hunting. During duck season I can hit our duck blind at first light and still be at my desk by 9:30.
Real Estate and Business Litigation
- Represent real estate developers, lenders, for-profit businesses, non-profit land trusts, and individuals in a wide range of disputes arising from purchase-and-sale, development, and land-use agreements, leases, CC&Rs, boundary and survey issues, easements, conservation easements, and other claims for breach of contract, specific performance, rescission, fraud, misrepresentation, nondisclosure, breach of fiduciary and, others.
- Represent commercial landlords and tenants in lease and contract disputes, including commercial unlawful detainer actions.
- Experience representing national lending institutions on large construction projects against mechanic’s liens and bonded stop notice claims.
Title Insurance and Escrow Litigation
- Represent national title insurance and escrow companies and their insureds in prosecuting and defending litigation involving a wide range of title and real estate issues, including lien priority disputes, mechanic’s liens, easements, equitable subrogation, prosecution of subrogation claims for claims paid by insurers, fraud, and others.
- Assist industry clients with emergency situations involving time- and/or business-sensitive claims, coverage issues, escrows, and litigation.
- Correct defective chains of title and other liens and encumbrances through practical and cost-efficient solutions prior to filing litigation.
- Routinely dispose of cases for and against title insurance companies and insureds via dispositive motions, including demurrers and motions for summary judgment.
- Defend title insurers against claims for bad-faith breach of title insurance policies.
- Prosecute and defend appeals arising from our own cases and from cases handled by others at the trial court level.
2012 to present
Presenter at three annual Continuing Education of the Bar, Real Property Law Practice: Annual Recent Developments
Commercial Lease Disputes: Enforcement, Eviction and Alternatives, Sacramento County Bar Association Real Property Section, Co-Presenter
Northern California Super Lawyer
Sacramento Business Journal Best of the Bar
Sacramento Magazine Top Lawyer
Law School: Order of the Coif
Undergraduate: cum laude
Professional Associations and Memberships
Former Member, Boutin Jones Inc., Board of Directors
Sacramento Metro Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Sacramento Class of 2015