ATTORNEYS AT LAW
Iain Mickle practices in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, private and public equity and debt offerings, the representation of startup and emerging companies, compliance with federal securities law reporting obligations applicable to publicly-traded companies, commercial loan transactions and various intellectual property matters. Iain joined Boutin Jones in 2006 from the international law firm of Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP where he had been a partner since 1998 and served as the partner-in-charge of that firm’s Sacramento office from 2001 to 2004. He also spent two years practicing as a member of the corporate and securities group at the Palo Alto, California office of Fenwick & West LLP.
Iain has represented private companies and venture capitalists in over 100 private placements, most of which involved the issuance of preferred stock and the preparation of stock purchase agreements, investors’ rights agreements, voting agreements and other important documents for private companies raising money. In addition, he has acted as both issuer’s counsel and underwriters’ counsel in numerous public offerings by companies in a wide range of industries, including public offerings by software companies, hardware manufacturers, restaurant companies, internet companies, owners of radio stations, retail companies and healthcare companies.
In the mergers and acquisitions arena, Iain represents both sellers and buyers, and has considerable experience drafting and negotiating merger agreements, asset sale agreements, non-competition agreements and related documents.
In connection with his work for company clients, he frequently serves as general outside counsel and, in such capacity, provides advice and assistance with the preparation and negotiation of service agreements, employment contracts, credit facilities, strategic alliances, stock option plans, nondisclosure agreements, product purchase agreements, license agreements and various other agreements. He serves as outside federal securities law counsel to Molina Healthcare, Inc., a New York Stock Exchange listed company.
I came to Boutin Jones after practicing for almost 20 years as an attorney in a major international law firm. My clients receive the benefit of those years of experience without having to pay international law firm billable rates.
“I’m a corporate and securities lawyer who represents clients who want to sell their business or expand their business by making an acquisition. I also assist clients seeking to raise capital through debt and equity financings.”
My main pursuit outside of work is running. I was a runner in high school and college, then after dropping back for a number of years to raise a family, I’ve been able to build my running back up and have come in third in my age group in the Boston Marathon two years in a row. I was just named Sacramento Athlete of the Year by the Sacramento Running Association.
Corporate Finance and Securities
- Represented numerous issuers and underwriters in connection with public equity offerings. Most recently, served as counsel to Molina Healthcare, Inc. (NYSE: MOH) in connection with the sale by the company of 5,000,000 shares of the company’s common stock, resulting in net proceeds to Molina Healthcare, Inc. of approximately $324.9 million. UBS Investment Bank, B of A Merrill Lynch, Wells Fargo Securities and SunTrust Robinson Humphrey acted as the representatives of the underwriters of this offering.
- Served as company counsel or investors’ counsel in connection with a wide variety of private placements of debt and equity, including private placements by 5by5 Networks, Inc., A-Med Systems, Inc., Aprima Medical Software, Inc., Bay Equity LLC, ClickAction, Inc., Compassoft, Inc., Consensus Health Corporation, Corrigo Incorporated, Mobius Technologies, Inc., Morris Air Corporation, Motosport, Inc., Pacific Gas and Electric Company, PG&E Corporation, PG&E National Energy Group, Inc., Printcafe, Inc., Sacramento Country Day School, Valley Health Systems, Inc. and Wireless Venture Partners, Inc.
- Served as company counsel and underwriters’ counsel in connection with public debt offerings by Nordstrom, Inc., Nordstrom Credit, Inc. and Transamerica Finance, Inc.
- Served as company counsel or underwriters’ counsel in connection with public equity offerings by the following companies: Brooktree Corporation, CIDCO Incorporated, CKE Restaurants, Inc., Cost Plus, Inc., EZ Communications, Inc., Health Systems Design, Inc., Imperial Credit Industries, Inc., Jetfax, Inc., Maxis, Inc., Multiple Zones, Inc., Oak Technology, Inc., Star Buffet, Inc., System Software Associates, The 3DO Company, The Office Club, Trendwest Resorts, Inc., Veritas Software, Inc., Western Staff Services, Zeos International and Zycon Corporation.
- Served as counsel to Molina Healthcare, Inc. (NYSE: MOH) in connection with the offer and sale by the company of $770 million aggregate principal amount of its 5.375% Senior Notes due 2022 and $550 million aggregate principal amount of its 1.125% Cash Convertible Senior Notes due 2020. Also represented the company in connection with certain related cash convertible note hedge transactions and warrant transactions. The notes were offered and sold only to qualified institutional buyers pursuant to Rule 144A under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Counsel to buyers and sellers in connection with a wide variety of mergers and acquisitions, including counsel to A-Med Systems in connection with its acquisition by Embol-X Inc., counsel to Commercial Microwave Technology, Inc. in connection with the sale of its assets to API Technologies Corp. (NASDAQ: ATNY), counsel to iVillage, Inc. in connection with its acquisitions of Astrology.com, Promotions.com and Women.com, counsel to ClickAction, Inc. in connection with its acquisition by infoUSA, Inc., counsel to BHP Hawaii Inc. in connection with the sale of all of its stock to Tesoro Petroleum, counsel to Radiological Associates of Sacramento Medical Group in connection with its acquisition of various medical practices, counsel to Imagine Manufacturing in connection with its acquisition by Varian, Inc., counsel to ECO:Logic Engineering in connection with its acquisition by Stantec Consulting Services, Inc. (NYSE: STN), counsel to Real Branding, LLC in connection with its acquition by Schawk Inc. (NYSE: SGK) and counsel to Vilmorin & Cie in connection with its acquisitions of Eureka Seeds, Inc., Shamrock Seed Company and Genica Research Corporation.
Partnerships, Strategic Alliances and Joint Ventures
- Represented numerous clients in connection with joint ventures and strategic alliances. For example, served as counsel to Oracle Corporation in connection with a proposed business-to-business e-commerce exchange called Covisint that was backed by Ford and General Motors, counsel to a major wine producer in connection with the outsourcing of all of its help desk requirements to a third party IT service provider, counsel to a medical software provider in connection with a strategic OEM agreement with a public company and counsel to a regional bank in connection with a strategic investment in a wealth management company.
Commercial Finance and Secured Lending
- Counsel to Molina Healthcare, Inc. in connection with its $500 million revolving credit facility. Served as counsel to a Sacramento-based financial institution in connection with a $2.3 million credit facility to a Bay Area public agency, counsel to a major grocery store chain in connection with a $125 million revolving credit facility and counsel to an industrial equipment company in connection with a $150 million credit facility.
April 28, 2017
March 23, 2017
October 28, 2016
January 24, 2018
Presenter, Sacramento County Bar Association, Business Law Section, “Avoiding Pitfalls Inherent in Representing Start-Up Companies in Securities Transactions.”
The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of corporate law, securities/capital markets law and securities regulation, 2013—2022
Sacramento Magazine Top Lawyer, 2015 – 2021
Northern California Super Lawyer in the area of corporate finance, 2004—2007, 2014 —2021
Sacramento Business Journal Best of the Bar, 2016
Served as the Managing Shareholder and President of Boutin Jones from May 2008 to February 2010
Law School: Class Valedictorian; Order of the Coif; Law Review: Hastings Law Journal, Articles Editor
Professional Associations and Memberships
Member, Boutin Jones Inc., Board of Directors
Chair, Boutin Jones Inc., Corporate and Securities Practice