ATTORNEYS AT LAW
Daniel S. Stouder
Dan Stouder is the practice group leader and chair of Boutin Jones’ litigation section. He is a litigator and trial attorney in the areas of business, real estate, and agribusiness. He has extensive first chair trial and arbitration experience. He represents businesses and individuals from a diverse group of industries including commercial real estate, agriculture, manufacturing, retail, banking, and construction. His notable experience includes:
Represented buyers of multi-million dollar janitorial business in dispute against sellers for fraud and nondisclosure.
Represented family office manager pursuing millions in unpaid commissions, fees, and bonuses against over 50 family members, trusts, and related companies.
Commonly represents companies, shareholders, partners, and LLC members in intracompany disputes involving breaches of fiduciary duties, minority interest oppression, involuntary dissolution, and derivative lawsuits.
Frequently represents business owners and competitors in disputes involving trade secrets and unfair competition.
Real estate litigation
Represented partner in $40 million dollar low income housing tax credit real estate partnership dispute in 5-week trial in Placer County.
Frequently represents commercial property owners, property managers, and tenants regarding lease disputes and unlawful detainer cases. Successful evictions include a car dealership, a charter school, a solar power company, and a funeral home. Used unique approaches in each situation to resourcefully overcome procedural hurdles and achieve successful outcomes for the clients.
Routinely represents sellers and buyers of residential real estate in the ever growing area of nondisclosure and fraud cases.
Regularly represents commercial and residential property owners in disputes involving purchase and sale agreements, partitions, easements, and title issues.
Represented walnut grower partnership in bet-the-company sales and marketing contract dispute in arbitration against industry co-op.
Represented co-owner of almond orchard LLC in dispute with the other owner involving contract and fiduciary duty breaches in multiple lawsuits.
Represented San Joaquin County vineyard owner in multi-parcel partition dispute.
Represented multiple interests involving public and private duck hunting clubs involving membership, ownership, partition, and boundary/easement disputes.
Adept at enforcing livestock liens for property owners.
Other significant litigation experience
Represented numerous parties in first amendment litigation including issues involving the anti-SLAPP statute, defamation, and business torts.
Frequently represents property owners, general contractors, and subcontractor clients in construction disputes including breach of contract, mechanics liens, and unlicensed contractor issues.
Handled several lawsuits involving beneficiaries in probate and trust disputes.
I work hand in hand with my clients to see that their needs are timely addressed and that their concerns are at all times understood. The only way to achieve these objectives is to meaningfully involve my clients in the litigation process and to make sure I remain responsive and accessible to them.
I enjoy handling the most complex and seemingly chaotic cases. I take pride in being able to break down and process the many factual and legal issues in my cases to focus on what will ultimately most resonate with the judge and the jury at trial. This process also proves most effective in resolving cases through negotiations and often times in settlement.
“I’m a business and real estate litigator and trial attorney with a proven track record of efficiently and aggressively solving problems for individuals and entities involved in disputes.”
I enjoy spending time with my family and, depending on the season, my free time is divided between golfing, hunting, and fishing.
- Sacramento Magazine Top Lawyer, 2015 – 2023
- Northern California Super Lawyer, 2019-2023
- Sacramento Business Journal Best of the Bar, 2016 – 2018
- Northern California Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2009, 2011 – 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV-rated and peer-reviewed lawyer in Business Litigation and Real Estate Litigation—the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards
- UC Davis School of Law: Outstanding Oral Advocate Award, 2001-2002, National Moot Court Team, Witkin Award in Real Property
- Finalist, Sacramento Business Journal’s annual 40 under 40 Award, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Rotary Club of Point West Sacramento
- Member, Grant Review Committee for Point West Rotary
- Former Board of Trustees, Point West Rotary Foundation
- Former Board of Directors and Former President, Barristers Club of Sacramento
- Charter Member, Sacramento Chamber of Commerce, MetroEdge
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association (Civil Litigation, Real Property, Business Law, Appellate, and Bankruptcy Sections)
- Founder and Former President of the Civil Litigation Section of the Sacramento County Bar Association
- Former Member, Milton L. Schwartz American Inn of Court
- Judge Pro Tem, Sacramento County Superior Court
- Former Member, Board of Directors, YMCA of Superior California
- Former Volunteer, St. John’s Shelter for Women and Children
- Member, Sacramento Metro Chamber – Leadership Sacramento, Class of 2013