I enjoy spending time with my family and, depending on the season, my free time is divided between golfing, hunting, and fishing.
Daniel S. Stouder
- University of California, Davis School of Law, J.D., 2003
- California State University, Chico, B.A., Political Science, 2000
- Licensed to practice in all California courts and the United States
District Court for the Eastern District of California
Delivering for Clients
“I’m a business and real estate litigator and trial attorney with a proven track record of efficiently and aggressively solving problems for individuals and entities involved in disputes.”
Lead trial counsel for a real estate broker who acted as a dual agent in the sale of undeveloped agricultural land in Yolo County. The buyer sued the seller to rescind the transaction over a purported violation of the Subdivision Map Act. The seller then filed a cross-complaint against the broker on various negligence theories, seeking over $600,000 in damages. Following a bench trial on the cross-complaint, our firm’s trial team secured a defense judgment in favor of the broker, absolving him from all liability related to the seller’s claims.
Achieved successful trial win in a family trust dispute after a cumulative three days’ worth of trial that lasted over multiple months and involved many court proceedings. The case involved hundreds of thousands of dollar and centered on complex family dynamics and complicated legal issues.
Successfully represented a prominent public official and his son in a defamation action. Prevailed on an anti-SLAPP motion and resolved the case on favorable terms.
Successfully handled numerous adversary actions in bankruptcy court, including objections to discharge and objections to the dischargeability of debts. In a particular series of cases, the debtors acquired numerous obligations through false pretenses. We prevailed on behalf of our client in bankruptcy court and through settlements that involved disputes worth $8 million.
Frequently represent commercial property owners in lease disputes and in unlawful detainer cases. Experience includes matters on behalf of landlords with tenants in diverse industries including a car dealership, a charter school, a solar power company, and a funeral home. Used unique approaches in each situation to resourcefully overcome procedural hurdles and achieve successful outcomes for the clients.
Detailed Practice Description
Daniel S. Stouder’s practice focuses on real estate litigation and business litigation. He represents businesses and individuals from a diverse group of industries including commercial real estate, agriculture, manufacturing, retail, banking, and construction. He is experienced in representing and counseling clients regarding civil disputes involving business and real estate contracts, business torts, first amendment claims, class actions, commercial and agricultural leases, partnership disputes and dissolutions, easements and boundary issues, unlawful detainers, construction payment and mechanics liens, agricultural and livestock liens, unfair competition and public access under the ADA and related state laws. He also regularly represents creditors and trustees in litigation matters in bankruptcy court. Dan has successfully handled cases before federal and state courts including up to and through mediation, arbitration, trial, and on appeal.
I work hand in hand with my clients to see that their needs are timely addressed and that their concerns are at all times understood. The only way to achieve these objectives is to meaningfully involve my clients in the litigation process and to make sure I remain responsive and accessible to them.
I enjoy handling the most complex and seemingly chaotic cases. I take pride in being able to break down and process the many factual and legal issues in my cases to focus on what will ultimately most resonate with the judge and the jury at trial. This process also proves most effective in resolving cases through negotiations and often times in settlement.
- Commercial Lease Disputes: Enforcement, Eviction and Alternatives, Sacramento County Bar Association Real Property Section, Co-Presenter with Michael J. Kuzmich
- Northern California Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2009, 2011 – 2018
- Northern California Super Lawyer, 2019
- Sacramento Business Journal Best of the Bar, 2016 – 2018
- Sacramento Magazine Top Lawyer, 2015 – 2019
- Martindale-Hubbell AV-rated and peer-reviewed lawyer in Business Litigation and Real Estate Litigation—the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards
- UC Davis School of Law: Outstanding Oral Advocate Award, 2001-2002, National Moot Court Team, Witkin Award in Real Property
- Finalist, Sacramento Business Journal’s annual 40 under 40 Award, 2013
- California State University, Chico: Graduated with Highest Honors
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Rotary Club of Point West Sacramento
- Board of Trustees, Point West Rotary Foundation
- Former Board of Directors and Former President, Barristers Club of Sacramento
- Charter Member, Sacramento Chamber of Commerce, MetroEdge
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association (Civil Litigation, Real Property, Business Law, Appellate, and Bankruptcy Sections)
- Founder and Former President of the Civil Litigation Section of the Sacramento County Bar Association
- Former Member, Milton L. Schwartz American Inn of Court
- Judge Pro Tem, Sacramento County Superior Court
- Board of Directors, YMCA of Superior California
- Former Volunteer, St. John’s Shelter for Women and Children
- Member, Sacramento Metro Chamber – Leadership Sacramento, Class of 2013