Employment lawsuits are very stressful to the parties involved. I am passionate about carrying that burden for my clients so that they can focus on moving their businesses forward.
Bruce M. Timm
- Employment Law
- Employment Litigation
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, J.D., 1998
- Sonoma State University, B.A., Management, 1994
Delivering for Clients
“I defend employers in wrongful termination, discrimination and harassment lawsuits, as well as wage and hour class actions. Serving as lead counsel, I have successfully handled countless employment-related lawsuits by developing and pursuing litigation strategies unique to the facts and circumstances of each case.”
Lead counsel in countless lawsuits alleging sexual harassment, discrimination (including disability, race and gender), retaliation (including whistleblower, workers’ compensation and workplace safety related claims), wage and hour violations on an individual and class-wide basis and family leave law violations.
Obtained dismissal of multiple lawsuits on summary judgment and at the pleadings stage in state and federal court; successfully defended cases through trial, arbitration, appeal and administrative hearings; and efficiently resolved countless lawsuits on favorable terms prior to trial.
Defended multiple claims of harassment and discrimination before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the California Department of Fair Employment & Housing, wage and hour disputes before the California Labor Commissioner and discrimination claims before the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board.
Defended individuals against accusations of harassment and discrimination made in court and internally.
Detailed Practice Description
Bruce M. Timm is the current Chair of the Employment Law Group at Boutin Jones Inc. His practice focuses on litigating employment disputes in state and federal courts, as well as before administrative agencies. Bruce defends clients in various industries against claims of harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination, retaliation, and wage and hour violations (both single-plaintiff and class actions). He also defends individuals accused of harassment or discrimination, both in litigation and internally. Bruce is recognized as one of the top employment defense attorneys in the region. He has been selected for the Northern California Super Lawyers list for defense-side employment litigation every year since 2014, recognized repeatedly by the Sacramento Business Journal’s Best of the Bar list for employment litigation, and acknowledged multiple times by Sacramento Magazine’s Top Lawyer list.
Bruce is passionate about contributing to the local legal community. He served as the President of the 2000-member Sacramento County Bar Association in 2013. Under Bruce’s leadership, the Association formed a Court Funding Task Force to help address drastic budget cuts to the judicial branch, and established a Mentorship Program to assist new members of the Bar struggling to find law-related jobs in a depressed economy. Since 2017, he has served as the Chair of the Judiciary Committee of the Sacramento County Bar Association, which investigates, interviews, and makes recommendations on judicial candidates to the Governor of California.
While Bruce’s practice concentrates on defending employment cases, he also seeks select cases outside of the employment context where he can right a wrong or promote access to justice, working on a pro bono basis as needed.
Bruce joined the firm in September 2010 from the law firm of McDonough Holland & Allen P.C. Previously, he practiced at the law firms of Littler Mendelson P.C. and Kronick Moskovitz.
I consider it an incredible privilege when chosen to defend a client. I work vigorously to ensure that the system operates fairly, that all involved are treated with respect, and that cases are decided on the facts, rather than baseless or embellished accusations.
- What’s That Ringing Sound? Court of Appeal Holds Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity Can Constitute a “Physical Disability” Under FEHA, 2021, Bruce Timm and Kendall Fisher-Wu, Co-Authors
- Bruce Timm profiled in Sacramento Lawyer Magazine, 2013
- Bruce Timm profiled in McGeorge School of Law, Career Development Pathways Project, 2013
- “Bruce Timm Elected President of Sacramento County Bar; BJ Susich Elected Second Vice President,” 2012 Sacramento County Bar Association Timm and Susich
- “Bruce Timm Serving Second Four-Year Term on the McGeorge Alumni Association Board of Directors,” 2012
- Bruce Timm profiled in Pacific Law Magazine, 2012
- “Those Who Complain of Discrimination Enjoy Broader Protection Against Retaliation than Victims of Direct Discrimination,” Sacramento Lawyer Magazine, 2006, Bruce Timm, Author
- Presenter, Boutin Jones, Employment Law Year in Review (Continuous)
- Guest Lecturer, McGeorge School of Law, Employment Law Practicum, 2017-2018, 2020
- Presenter, “Civil Litigation Strategies: How to Win Your Case Before Trial,” Sacramento County Public Law Library, 2018
- Panelist, “Bridging the Gap – Building a Successful Legal Career,” 2016
- Speaker, Professional Development at McGeorge School of Law, 2013
- Speaker, “Stand Up for Justice In Sacramento,” Rally to Support Adequate Court Funding, 2012
- Presenter, “Disability Discrimination,” University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Bay Area MCLE, Oakland, California, 2012
- Presenter, “Disability Discrimination,” University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Southern California MCLE, Long Beach, (over 100 attorneys in attendance), 2011
- Presenter, “Disability Discrimination,” University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Northern California MCLE, Sacramento (approximately 500 attorneys in attendance), 2011
- Presenter, “A Day in the Life of an Employment and Labor Law Attorney,” McGeorge Employment and Labor Law Society, 2011
- Presenter, “Disability Discrimination & the Interactive Process,” Professionals in Workers’ Compensation, 2010
- Presenter, “Disability Discrimination,” Central Valley Human Resources Management Association, 2010
- Presenter, “The Interactive Process,” Valley Industrial Claims Association, 2008
- Presenter, “Workplace Retaliation,” Greater Stockton Employer Advisory Council, 2007
- Panelist, “What Makes Up Sex Discrimination,” McGeorge School of Law, 2006
- Guest Lecturer, “Federal Antidiscrimination,” McGeorge School of Law
- Moderator, “Ethics and Civility Panel,” Barristers’ Club of Sacramento
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law:
- Dean’s Honor Roll
- Traynor Honor Society
- Top Oral Advocate (Selected by Hon. William B. Shubb, Hon. Lawrence K. Karlton, and Hon. David F. Levi, of the United States District Court)
- Recipient, Honors in Trial Advocacy
- National Moot Court Competition Team
- American Jurisprudence Award for Appellate Advocacy
- Recipient, Verne Adrian & Annabel Academic Achievement Scholarship
- Recipient, Diana P. Scott Scholarship for Outstanding Achievement in Appellate Advocacy
- Member, Moot Court Honors Board
- Northern California Super Lawyer for Employment Litigation, Defense, 2014 – 2021
- Sacramento Magazine Top Lawyer, 2016 – 2021
- Sacramento Business Journal Best of the Bar, 2013, 2015 – 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- 2013 President, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Chair, Judiciary Committee—Sacramento County Bar Association
- Board Member and former Vice President, St. Thomas More Society—Sacramento
- Member, Sacramento Diocese Red Mass Committee
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association Nominations Committee
- Member, Knights of Columbus
- Past Board Member and former Vice President of Programs, McGeorge School of Law Alumni Association
- Past President/Member of Board of Directors, Sacramento County Barristers’ Club
- Past Member of Board of Directors, Operation Protect and Defend—A Dialogue on America
- Past Member, Court Funding Task Force, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Adjunct Professor, McGeorge School of Law, Appellate Advocacy/International Program, 1999-2009 (non-consecutive)
- Member, State Bar of California, Labor and Employment Section
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Member, Sacramento Downtown Rotary Club
- Member, United States Tennis Association