Employment lawsuits are very stressful to the parties involved. I am passionate about carrying that burden for my clients so that they can focus on moving their businesses forward.
Bruce M. Timm
- Employment Law
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, J.D., 1998
- Sonoma State University, B.A., Management, 1994
Delivering for Clients
“I defend employers in wrongful termination, discrimination and harassment lawsuits, as well as wage and hour class actions. My style of defending a case is aggressive, but efficient. Serving as lead counsel, I have successfully handled countless employment-related lawsuits by developing and pursuing litigation strategies unique to the facts and circumstances of each case.”
Lead counsel in countless lawsuits alleging sexual harassment, discrimination (including disability, race and gender), retaliation (including whistleblower, workers’ compensation and workplace safety related claims), wage and hour violations on an individual and class-wide basis and family leave law violations.
Disposed of multiple lawsuits on summary judgment and at the pleadings stage in state and federal court, and successfully and efficiently resolved multiple lawsuits on favorable terms prior to trial.
Prosecuted matters arising under the Uniform Trade Secrets Act and unfair competition laws.
Defended multiple claims of harassment and discrimination before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the California Department of Fair Employment & Housing, wage and hour disputes before the California Labor Commissioner and discrimination claims before the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board.
Advise clients regarding the interactive process/reasonable accommodations, employment policies and employee handbooks, terminations/severance agreements and employment investigations.
Detailed Practice Description
Bruce M. Timm is the current Chair of the Employment Law Group at Boutin Jones Inc. His practice is focused on litigating employment disputes in state and federal courts, as well as before administrative agencies. Bruce defends clients in various industries against claims of harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination, retaliation, wage and hour violations (both single-plaintiff and class actions), and unfair competition. In addition, he frequently relies on his litigation background in providing general preventative advice to assist clients in avoiding litigation.
Bruce served as the 2013 President of the Sacramento County Bar Association, which is comprised of approximately 2,000 lawyers. Under Bruce’s leadership, the Association formed a Court Funding Task Force to help address drastic budget cuts to the judicial branch, and established a Mentorship Program to assist new members of the Bar struggling to find law-related jobs in a depressed economy. Bruce has twice been selected to the Northern California Super Lawyers list for defense-side employment litigation, and was recognized by the Sacramento Business Journal’s Best of the Bar list for employment litigation.
Bruce joined the firm in September 2010 from the law firm of McDonough Holland & Allen P.C. Previously, he co-founded the firm Barth Tozer & Timm LLP, and practiced at the law firm of Littler Mendelson P.C.
Disability discrimination lawsuits continue to increase. Employers must understand reasonable accommodation issues and the interactive process. Also, wage and hour class actions pose significant risks. While we work hard to defend these lawsuits, our team also seeks to put proper policies in place to prevent or correct issues that can lead to litigation.
- Bruce Timm profiled in Sacramento Lawyer Magazine
- Bruce Timm profiled in McGeorge School of Law, Career Development Pathways Project
- Bruce Timm profiled in Pacific Law Magazine
- Bruce Timm speaks on Professional Development at McGeorge School of Law
- “Those Who Complain of Discrimination Enjoy Broader Protection Against Retaliation than Victims of Direct Discrimination,” Sacramento Lawyer Magazine
- “Bruce Timm Elected President of Sacramento County Bar; BJ Susich Elected Second Vice President” Sacramento County Bar Association Timm and Susich
- “Bruce Timm Serving Second Four-Year Term on the McGeorge Alumni Association Board of Directors”
- Boutin Jones, Employment Law Year in Review
- “Disability Discrimination,” University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Bay Area MCLE, Oakland, California, Presenter
- “Disability Discrimination,” University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Southern California MCLE, Long Beach, (over 100 attorneys in attendance)
- “Disability Discrimination,” University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Northern California MCLE, Sacramento, (approximately 500 attorneys in attendance)
- “A Day in the Life of an Employment and Labor Law Attorney,” McGeorge Employment and Labor Law Society, Panelist
- “Disability Discrimination & the Interactive Process,” Professionals in Workers’ Compensation
- “Disability Discrimination,” Central Valley Human Resources Management Association
- “The Interactive Process,” Valley Industrial Claims Association
- “What Makes Up Sex Discrimination,” McGeorge School of Law, Panelist
- “Federal Antidiscrimination,” McGeorge School of Law, Guest Lecturer
- “Workplace Retaliation,” Greater Stockton Employer Advisory Council
- “Ethics and Civility Panel,” Barristers’ Club of Sacramento, Moderator
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law:
- Dean’s Honor Roll
- Traynor Honor Society
- Top Oral Advocate (Selected by Hon. William B. Shubb, Hon. Lawrence K. Karlton, and Hon. David F. Levi, of the United States District Court)
- Recipient, Honors in Trial Advocacy
- National Moot Court Competition Team
- American Jurisprudence Award for Appellate Advocacy
- Recipient, Verne Adrian & Annabel Academic Achievement Scholarship
- Recipient, Diana P. Scott Scholarship for Outstanding Achievement in Appellate Advocacy
- Member, Moot Court Honors Board
- Northern California Super Lawyer for Employment Litigation, Defense, 2014 – 2018
- Sacramento Business Journal Best of the Bar, 2013, 2015 – 2018
- Sacramento Magazine Top Lawyer, 2016 – 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- 2013 President, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Board Member and former Vice President of Programs, McGeorge School of Law Alumni Association
- Board Member and former Vice President, St. Thomas More Society
- Board of Directors, Operation Protect and Defend—A Dialogue on America
- Past President/Member of Board of Directors, Sacramento County Barristers’ Club
- Member, Judiciary Committee, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Member, Court Funding Task Force, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Adjunct Professor, McGeorge School of Law, Appellate Advocacy/International Program, 1999-2009 (non-consecutive)
- Member, State Bar of California, Labor and Employment Section
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Member, Sacramento Downtown Rotary Club
- Member, United States Tennis Association