My experience as a Marine Helicopter Pilot has taken me many places. One of my favorites is France, because I love the food and the language. I especially enjoyed the opportunity to fly Presidents George W. Bush and Jacques Chirac to Normandy, France.
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, J.D., 2020, with great distinction
- University of Southern California, Aviation Safety & Accident Investigation Certification, 2005
- U.S. Navy Flight School, Marine Corps Pilot, 1995
- College of the Holy Cross, B.A., Political Science, 1993
Delivering for Clients
“My background in leading combat flight missions and battling wildfires taught me how to tackle complex problems and have grace under pressure—two skills that are critical as a litigator and trial attorney.”
Detailed Practice Description
Thomas Humann is a litigator who has helped to represent clients in a variety of matters including disputes involving real property, intellectual property, business and private contracts and torts. He honed his skills as a Judicial Extern at the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals for Judge Callahan and a summer associate at Boutin Jones Inc.
Prior to law school, he served the United States and the State of California as a helicopter pilot. He was ranked number one in his graduating class at the U.S. Navy Flight School and, as a Marine Corps officer, served as an Attack Helicopter Pilot and then a White House Helicopter Pilot. After the Marines, he joined the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, where he worked as an Aviation Safety Officer and Fire and Rescue Helicopter Pilot.
In law school, he graduated third in his class and received seven Witkin Awards for having the highest course grade.
Honors and Experience
- Order of the Coif member for graduating in top 10% of law school class
- Witkin Award recipient for top grade in 7 law school classes, including Legal Research & Writing and Dispute Resolution
- Judicial Extern, Hon. Consuelo M. Callahan, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (January 2020 – April 2020)
- Helicopter pilot, safety officer, and accident investigator for the California Department of Forestry & Fire Protection (2005 – 2017)
- Marine Corps officer and helicopter pilot (1993 – 2005), including 4 years as White House helicopter pilot for President George W. Bush