Getting hit with an employment lawsuit is often a very stressful experience. One of the most rewarding aspects of my practice is having the opportunity to tackle and efficiently resolve the pressing problem litigation presents for clients so they can instead focus their energies on operating their businesses.
Andrew M. Ducart
- Employment Law
- Employment Litigation
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, J.D., 2013
- University of California, Santa Cruz, B.A., Legal Studies and Politics, 2010
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
Delivering for Clients
“I am a litigator with a focus on defending clients in employment-related lawsuits. In every case, I work persistently to develop and efficiently execute a defense strategy tailor-made to the client’s goals and their unique circumstances to reach a resolution that best realizes their aspirations.”
- Associate counsel in successful defense of appeal to grant of summary judgment to employer in state court action involving claims of disability discrimination, whistleblower retaliation, and wrongful termination in violation of public policy.
- Associate counsel in successful summary judgment motion on behalf of employer and its general manager involving claims of harassment, discrimination, retaliation, failure to prevent discrimination, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and breach of contract.
- Associate counsel in successful opposition to motion for class certification in putative class action asserting various claims for violations of California wage and hour laws, including alleged claims for unpaid wages and meal and rest period violations.
- Associate counsel in defense of representative action under the California Private Attorneys’ General Act for various alleged wage and hour violations with potential liability exposure in the seven figures; obtained court-approved negotiated resolution on terms favorable to employer and for a small fraction of potential financial exposure.
- Defended employers in administrative investigations into claims filed with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing and Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Detailed Practice Description
Andrew’s practice is focused on defending employers against employment-related claims in state and federal courts, at the trial and appellate levels, as well as before administrative agencies.
Andrew is experienced in defending complex class, collective and representative actions brought under California and/or federal wage and hour laws, including in high exposure, “bet-the-company” situations. He also has extensive experience in representing employers and management in defense of single-plaintiff and multi-plaintiff lawsuits alleging various forms of discrimination (including disability, race, and gender), sexual harassment, retaliation (including whistleblower claims), wrongful termination, breach of employment contract, and employment-related tort claims. Andrew has represented clients across diverse industries—including manufacturing, retail, transportation and shipping, restaurant and food service, healthcare, broadcasting, and regulatory compliance—at all stages of the litigation process.
Before joining the firm, Andrew completed a series of federal judicial clerkships with the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California in Sacramento. He utilizes this invaluable experience and insight into the judicial process to develop litigation strategies unique to the circumstances of each case, and to effectively advance clients’ goals across each step of the litigation.
- Graduated with Distinction
- Dean’s Honor list (all 3 years)
- Traynor Honor Society member
- Managing Editor and Comment Editor, McGeorge Law Review
- Published Law Review Comment: “Go Directly to Jail: How Misaligned Subsidies Undermine California’s Prisoner Realignment Goals and What is Possible to Maximize the Law’s Potential,” 44 McGeorge Law Review 481 (2013)
- Witkin Awards for top grade in class in three courses.
- Judicial Extern, Hon. Kendall J. Newman, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, Sacramento, CA
- Former Law Clerk, California Attorney General’s Office, Appeals, Writs and Trials Division
- University of California, Santa Cruz: Graduation Honors in Legal Studies major
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Section
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association’s Civil Litigation Section
- Member, International Legal Honor Society of Phi Delta Phi
- Former Federal Judicial Law Clerk, Hon. Kendall J. Newman and Hon. Carolyn K. Delaney, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California, Sacramento, CA